System Fusion is Yaesu’s implementation of Digital Amateur Radio, utilizing C4FM 4-level FSK Technology to transmit digital voice and data over the Amateur radio bands. In the early 2000’s GMSK emerged in the Amateur radio market as the dominant digital mode, however in 2013 Yaesu introduced “System Fusion” which quickly became the dominating digital format in Amateur radio because of quality, reliability and enhanced performance in a wide range of environments.
Digital Communication modes have gained popularity over the years in the market because of superior performance in environments with interference, noise and other contributing factors that degrade the quality of a standard FM Analog signal. Narrower bandwidth and the need for increased spectrum have led to the development of digital communications technology, which has been widely adopted in the Public safety and private business sectors that use two-way radio technology. Unlike it’s commercial counterpart, System Fusion is an Amateur Friendly Digital Operating mode, straying away from some of the design considerations that make commercial solutions less appealing and more difficult for Amateur Radio Operators, providing a simpler interface and features that meet the demands and needs of the Amateur enthusiast specifically. Below you will find more information on this marvelous new technology, and how it can meet every operators demand and needs for a clear and simple Digital Experience.
The Four Operating Modes of System Fusion
Voice FR (VW) Mode – Utilizes all available bandwidth for high-fidelity voice operation, providing the most crystal clear of voice communications.
Transfer data such as images or text messages at full rate with speeds up to 9600 Bits-per-second
Analog FM Mode
Maintains backwards compatibility with existing Analog FM Equipment, allowing a wide range of users to experiment with System Fusion Digital.
Capabilities such as Automatic Mode Select (AMS) On the DR-1X Repeater allow an even wider range of users to communicate, by running the repeater in “Fixed FM” mode on Transmit, and “Automatic Mode Select” on receive the repeater will automatically detect the incoming signal and convert it to an Analog FM Transmission. This mode allows digital users to communicate with existing Analog FM users without the need to switch their radios into FM Mode, allowing crystal clear Digital reception into the repeater that is converted into a conventional FM Signal.
Automatic Mode Select – Complete Digital Co-existence
is function enables stress-free operation by removing the need to manually switch the communication method each time.
AMS function breaks down into the following operating modes that are fully selectable by the radio user:
- AUTO: The both RX/ TX mode is automatically selected from one of the four operating modes (DN, VW, DW and FM) to match the characteristics of the received signal. This is the current AMS operation.
- TX MANUAL: The both RX/ TX mode is automatically selected from four operating modes to match the characteristics of the received signal. And if desired to change the TX mode, by
pressing the Microphone PTT switch momentarily, the TX mode switch between DN and FM modes.
- TX FM FIXED: The RX mode is automatically selected from one of the four operating modes, but the TX mode is fixed to FM.
- TX DN FIXED: The RX mode is automatically selected from one of the four operating modes, but the TX mode is fixed to the ‘DN’ (Digital Voice Narrow) mode.
- TX VW FIXED: The RX mode is automatically selected from one of the four operating modes, but the TX mode is fixed to the ‘VW’ (Digital Voice Wide) mode.
Enhanced Communication Functions of System Fusion
Yaesu incorporated a suite of features within the System Fusion product line that are designed specifically for Amateur Radio Use. These features allow the operator to transmit High quality digital voice simultaneously along with Digital Data, and a High Rate (Data FR Mode) dedicated Digital Data mode that provides a method of transmitting Images, Text message and Telemetry Data at a high rate of speed.
Group Monitor (GM)
Digital Group Monitor automatically checks whether users within a communication group are in or out of range, and displays information such as distance and orientation on the screen of the client radio for up to 24 Stations.
Each individual group can share Text and Picture messages between themselves, allowing intelligent control of how content is distributed amongst a large operating group.
Group Monitor is almost an invaluable feature when an operator or group of operators needs to track resources, such as in an emergency communication operation. Resources can easily be tracked and controlled, letting operators know when they are going to fall out of range and may need to return to the coverage area, or providing invaluable telemetry data for locating and tracking individual operators.
By simply connecting the optional MH-85A11U Speaker Microphone with Camera, an operator can quickly take advantage of the high speed data functions of any System Fusion C4FM radio and can easily transmit images to other C4FM users.
Smart Navigation Functions/Backtrack Function
The Smart/Real-time navigation function enables location checking at any time. In digital V/D mode, information such as position data is transmitted together with voice signals so the distance and direction to the other stations can be displayed in real-time while communicating with them.
The Backtrack Function enables navigation to a registered location at the touch of a button. When hiking or camping, simply register your starting point or campsite before departure, and the distance and orientation from the current location are displayed on the screen.
Easy Infrastructure Migration
Migrating to System Fusion could never be easier! Since System Fusion enables the operator to quickly select operating modes using the revolutionary AMS (Automatic Mode Select) System, backwards-compatibility is fully maintained. Using the Yaesu DR-1X Repeater enables seamless integration with existing Analog systems.
Two main factors make System Fusion the ideal choice for existing infrastructure replacement:
- Increased spectrum efficiency – Yaesu System Fusion allows a repeater trustee, club or group to install a Digital Repeater that is also analog, thus eliminating the need for an extra frequency pair to perform digital communications. By using the System Fusion DR-1X Repeater the trustee can add Digital AND Analog capabilities to an existing 2-Meter or 70CM Repeater pair without the need for an additional frequency pair that is dedicated to Digital Only communications.
- Easy Installation and configuration – Most Yaesu System Fusion customers have reported replacing current infrastructure only takes about 15 minutes. Intuitive touch screen interfaces and simple programming make repeater installation a breeze.
WiRES-X – Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System
WIRES-X (Wide-Coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System) is a comprehensive and easy-to-use system for linking repeaters and/or home stations together, using Internet voice technology. Now you can talk to old friends, or make new ones, around the world.
More information on WiRES-X Can be found by visiting the WiRES-X Information Page
If you need any support with using Fusion, speak to our club guru Gerry | MW3YNK
“Information is sourced from http://systemfusion.yaesu.com/what-is-system-fusion/”