Learning and exams with the NWRS
The North Wales Radio Society is a recognised RSGB examination centre. We offer access to all three Amateur Licences, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. Using the booklets from the Radio Society of Great Britain, candidates learn and are able to seek help from club members – including the requirements for practicals. The NWRS’s Exams Officer is then able to provide information on how to sit the examinations. Many club members have been successful under this system.
There is no charge for the support, we simply ask that you take up club membership subscription fee of £10 a year.
From the moment you start, you never stop learning. From that first clumsy, nervous over, to bouncing digimodes off the moon, this hobby of ours will stretch your imagination. The possibilities are endless, restricted only by your own enthusiasm. So what are you waiting for? Let us help you to start on your journey of discovery.
The foundation course booklet provides an excellent introduction to amateur radio, no previous knowledge is required. The foundation license allows you to:
- Access all HF bands as well as the 70cm, 2m, 4m and 6m bands.
- Run 10 watts RF output power.
- Operate anywhere in the UK, including inland waterways.
- Talk to amateurs all over the world.
The intermediate course booklet allows progression from the foundation license and on passing the exam, access to the advanced course. The intermediate license also allows you to:
- Run higher power up to 50 watts maximum.
- Access Intermediate bands.
- Progress to the advanced level.
This is the highest level of amateur license, when you achieve it, you can enjoy all the hobby has to offer.
- Access all amatuer bands inc microwave.
- Run power levels up to 400 watts.
- Operate maritime mobile
- The full license is recognized abroad.
- Apply for variations to the license.